Bishop Alexander C. Garrett of The Diocese of Dallas visited a group of faithful Anglicans in Weatherford, in June, 1875.
They began meeting in other local churches shortly afterwards, and in February, 1976, he formally received them as a mission church, with the name of All Saints.
The congregation called the Rev. Edwin Wichens, then serving at a mission in Fort Worth, to administer Holy Communion and preach the Gospel on the fourth Sunday of each month, as their first Priest in Charge.
A couple of months later the founders broke ground on their first church building, and on July 4, 1876, the cornerstone to that building was laid as part of a large and festive gathering, on the Centennial anniversary of our nation. In early 1879, a small stone church was finally completed, on property that would later be sold to the City of Weatherford, and would eventually become the site of Weatherford City Hall.
Those early years would turn financially difficult for the All Saints faithful, and in the years immediately following the turn of the century they would, with the blessing and leadership of the Bishop, sell that property to the City of Weatherford.
But the good faithful people of All Saints persevered, until new property on the current church site was given by a parishioner, Maggie Coleman Foat, in memory of her daughter.
Services were held in the homes of members, until a new building could be completed. Construction on that new building, which would cost $10,424, began in early 1923. A rectory was built and completed that same year for the new priest, the Rev. E.S. Barlow. In early 1924, the church building was completed.
Upon her death in 1943, Maggie Foat left stock in the First National Bank of Dallas to be used for the salary of a full time priest.
Noted artist Douglas Chandor (1897-1953), who painted portraits of several U. S. Presidents, as well as several members of the British monarchy, was a member, and served faithfully on the All Saints vestry from 1945 to 1947.
Other noted members of All Saints included Mary Martin, as well as her son, Larry Hagman, who was baptized in our current building as an infant in 1932.
A parish hall was placed on the premises in 1947, after having been purchased from Fort Wolters for $1,650 following the end of World War II.
In 1964 the church and rectory were joined together, via the completion of an office and education wing. Also in 1964, a two bedroom addition was added to the rectory.
The spirit of the All Saints church family remains vibrant, warm, and welcoming. Our beliefs and teachings remain faithful to the ancient Christian traditions embraced by our founders. Our worship remains reverent, liturgical, and engaging. And we remain faithfully committed to mission and outreach in Weatherford and Parker County, as we seek to spread the good news of the Gospel, and to love our neighbors.
We would love to have you join us for worship and fellowship!